If you need
support for company or community specific
applications of industrial ecology or for development of eco-industrial
parks, Indigo offers client services including sustainable
community planning; eco-industrial park
business strategic planning; and briefings
workshops on a variety of IE themes.
strategic planning with a whole systems
orientation. Guided by the principles of industrial ecology, we view
the strategic needs of companies and communities in the context of
their natural environment. We support planning processes that integrate
consideration of economic, environmental, technical, and organizational
needs and constraints. As an aspect of strategic planning, we support
the creation of credible visions and scenarios
for a future that works for the organization and the full range of its
stakeholders. These visions enable clients to explore the full
implications of applying industrial ecology. They illustrate the value
of whole systems and ecologically based design.
We also help
environmental and management consulting firms make
strategic environmental management practice more systemic through use
of industrial ecology concepts and tools.
Executive Briefings, Workshops and
briefings on industrial ecology and its
implications for companies, public agencies, and communities. We prefer
to tailor these sessions to the needs of the client. We design each
briefing to deliver value that can be put to work immediately.
Indigo staff are
available for lectures, conference
presentations, and discussions on a number of themes, including:
details about Indigo's executive briefings, contact us.
- Overview of the field of industrial ecology
and the benefits
it offers to manufacturing and service industries and public operations.
- A vision of
development processes based on industrial ecology.
- Business opportunities opened by an
- Sustainable communities and industrial
- The Sustainable NewTown concept for
integration of community
- The requirements for a sustainable supply
of food and fiber.
- Framing the industrial ecology research
agenda: process and
Development Workshops and
field of industrial ecology offers communities means
for ending the apparent conflict between economic and environmental
needs. Indigo's workshops explore economic development and urban
planning approaches that can
workshops are customized to the needs and resources of your
community. We determine the specific content to be covered through
consultation with city leaders and a survey of current economic
development and planning documents.
- Open new local business and job development
- Revitalize existing industries;
- Lower local pollution and use of resources;
- Improve the efficiency of municipal
- Restore the viability of local ecosystems.
community workshop content:
We also offer
workshops focused on eco-industrial
park development and enhancement
of environmental performance of
existing industrial parks.
- Overview of industrial ecology as a field
including the concepts of industrial metabolism (analysis of energy and
materials flows), the industrial ecosystem and the eco-industrial park;
- Introduction to the process for forming an
strategic plan for reducing the total waste stream and increasing
efficiency of resource use (residential, commercial, public, and
industrial); (Through collaboration among economic development, public
works and environmental protection agencies);
- Development of an effective local
exchange providing markets for now wasted materials and energy;
- Extending the value of investments in
infrastructure (landfills, energy, water and waste water systems);
- Business opportunities opened by
industrial ecology and their
implications for economic development;
- Using the eco-industrial park concept in
the design of new
industrial parks or the rehabilitation of brownfield sites;
- Integrating town and rural development
around principles of sustainable agriculture.
- Mobilizing educational and consulting
resources to help the
community's business and government operations increase efficiency of
energy and materials use;
- Streamlining of environmental permitting
processes to support business compliance and competitiveness.
We integrate our
diverse capabilities to support communities and
developers in creating:
Click here for more information on our
strategic reviews of eco-industrial park projects that are in process, especially
if your process is stuck.
- Strategies for the development and
- Eco-industrial park designs, development
- Strategies to recruit new companies and
- Comprehensive plans for turning community
profitable businesses, jobs, and products;
- Local multi-industry initiatives in
water and energy efficiency; and
- By-product exchange networks for recycling,
and reduction of